ODS is hiring an Operations and Strategic Management Lead
ODS is a Brussels-based consultancy working with non-profit organisations and is passionate about supporting civil society to achieve greater impact through our work. We do this by supporting them to actively, effectively and efficiently contribute to peaceful, democratic, green and fair communities. Our services include MERL support, including designing innovative practices and conducting dynamic evaluations, organisational development support, strategy advice and planning, and research. ODS is a worker-owned cooperative, with employees owning shares in the company. Ownership would be open to the successful candidate upon mutual agreement, once we have had the chance to work together and understand whether we are a good fit for each other. However, willingness to participate in the cooperative is entirely voluntary and not a consideration in the hiring process from our side.
We work with a varied client base, from grassroots organisations to global INGOs and networks, across areas such as gender, human rights, social justice and many more. Our organisation works in horizontal structures, with all team members taking responsibility for growing and driving the strategy, operations and content work of the organisation.
We are currently looking for a dynamic, creative, hands-on Operations and Strategic Management Lead. Our colleague should have a deep familiarity with project-based business models and an enthusiasm for horizontal, collaborative ways of working. Like the rest of our team, our new colleague should be driven by intellectual curiosity, be a pragmatic problem-solver and have a passion for social justice and social values.
This is an ideal position for individuals with a minimum of 5 years of experience in managing operations and leading strategic programme and project management initiatives in (horizontally managed) organisations of 10-20 employees.
ODS is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage candidates from minority and migrant backgrounds, those with traditionally marginalised identities and those with disabilities and additional needs to apply.
The position can be based anywhere in the EU, but regular travel to Brussels will be necessary for the role. This position is only open to individuals with a permit to work in the EU.
- Shepherding the implementation of operational systems, frameworks and practices, including the review and suggestion for improvements where needed
- Identifying and owning the process of making changes and solidifying new and existing operational and programme/project management practices, together with the rest of the team, together with the relevant working groups;
- Overseeing and offering strategic advice on the management of ODS’ capacity to deliver our commitments to clients and develop new business opportunities within our sector, including business planning and advice on pricing;
- Identifying and leading on the development and dissemination of internal manuals and procedures;
- Compliance management with a focus on but not limited to Belgian laws and regulations;
- Advise on and coordinate HR processes together with the relevant internal working groups, including hiring, professional development, performance management and workplace culture;
- Support ODS in operationalising our cooperative values - think about, pilot and implement improvements to working processes and decision making that allow us to work effectively in a horizontal manner;
- We envision that the expertise of this colleague could also be applied in our organisational advice to clients within projects - up to 5-20% of the time of the team member. To be determined together with the eventual preferred candidate..
Profile of the candidate:
Key requirements - must be met for application to be considered:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in similar roles, ideally in project-based, start-up or horizontally organised structures, including operational, HR and workflow management;
- Confident in using (digital, online) tools related to business planning, workflow and cash flow/revenue forecasting; business planning; risk management; development and implementation of processes and practices;
- Experience in drafting and negotiating contracts;
- Native or near native proficiency in English; strong working proficiency in French or Dutch preferable.
- Enthusiasm for and/or experience working in a flexible, horizontal culture, where all team members actively contribute to the growth of the organisation.
Good to have but not required:
- Experience in advising clients in a consultant role on operational/management issues;
- First hand experience working with or volunteering with civil society organisations;
- Expertise in additional relevant fields, e.g. communications, HR, data visualisation, quantitative data analysis, organisational psychology is an asset.
In addition, we expect:
- A team player attitude in order to collaborate well with the rest of the team;
- A commitment to the progressive values we share with our clients as well as the strong will to support them in achieving their mission;
- An ability to listen, follow-up, analyse and apply insights at different levels, from practical (developing tools, feedback on systems) to conceptual (strategic thinking, methodological frameworks);
- An affinity for building and curating relationships with clients, allies and partners;
- A drive to innovate, iterate and co-design our tools, approaches and organisation.
What we offer:
- Proposed salary range (gross, full-time basis, Belgian contract comprising 13th and 14th month of pay): 4,400-4,800 EUR per month month depending on qualifications and experience as well as existing portfolio;
- Full-time or part-time position (possibility to negotiate working time between 60%-100%);
- A competitive remuneration package which includes meal cheques, contribution to buying a bicycle, and a public transport allowance for the Brussels metropolitan area;
- Company smartphone and laptop;
- A flexible working schedule and location;
- Personal development budget;
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic team in supporting different international CSOs/NGOs on interesting projects;
- The possibility of becoming a co-owner of the company.
To apply, please send an email with your CV and a motivation letter addressing how you meet the key and optional requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying “Operational and Strategic Management lead” in the subject line.
Deadline: 10 April 2023 - Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be invited for an interview on a rolling basis.